– It’s solid with no racking or walking
– Able to work boards on end, edge and face
– Can be build by a “No Skill” beginner
– Costs between $100 & $200
– Doesn’t take long to finish
– Easily repurposed for a lifetime of use
Workbenches and having the tools/skills to build them is a chicken and egg situation for brand new woodworkers. So this bench is the fuse to light up a new hobby or study path. 3-4 simple hand tools that almost all woodworkers use and absolutely no previous skills is all it takes. And at the end of the build not only will you have a lifetime resource of a bench but also gained some skill and confidence plus the foundation tool of the series.
While in this video I used about $200 in both materials and tool acquisition if you have access to a hand saw, screwdriver or drill, tape measure and square plus chose mdf or osb instead of plywood then you could get by with about $100 to finish the bench.
And this is the foundation of an entirely new series at wortheffort. One designed for new woodworkers to start making messes. A skills development series that’ll utilize a very limited set of hand tools (not much money) and a small 10″ band saw. I’m labeling it a “sophomore level” course because it’ll build upon the “Prerequisite Course” which highlighted some basic overall theories of the craft without to many projects.
I hope you’ll build along with us and bring along a friend/student of your own.
Plans (sketch) –
The Prerequisite Course Series –
– How does the “platform” used at the end of the video eliminate a bench “walking” in use?
– How does having the wider screw anchors offered by the corner brackets reduce “racking” (the flexing from corner to corner of a piece)?
– Why would you want to pound work over a leg vs the middle of a bench?
Materials Used (links are NOT affilliate):
– Corner Brackets, I believe made by many companies. Here I used
which is a associate page that will send a percentage of your purchase back to wortheffort.
– Screws I used:
– Alternative Kit using 2×4 instead of 4×4: Simpson WBSK Workbench & Shelving Hardware Kit
This channel is based on the value for value proposition. We depend upon patrons like you to subsidize our efforts. The time away from the ‘real work’ that pays bills and opportunity loss of time with family are our biggest expenses.
So if you feel these videos and series are of value to you and others please consider shopping and patronizing these sites:
– for PayPal donations
Non-“Affiliate” Amazon list of recommended stuff –